A recent study of several hundred thousand animal shelters across the country found that 30% of all cats relinquished were black and were the least likely to be adopted. White cats were the least likely to be found in the shelters and the first to be adopted.
The reputation of black cats has gone up and down through the years. Here are a few historical highlights of life as a black cat:
1. In the Middle Ages, black cats were considered evil.
2. In Ancient Egypt, black cats were considered sacred and worshipped.
3. Through the years, British sailors and fishermen considered a cat on board to be a sign of a safe journey.
4. During the 17th-century Salem Witch trials in Massachusetts, black cats were considered satanic and were killed along with women believed to be witches.
5. Single women in Japan who have black cats are believed to attract more suitors.
6. In France, something magical is about to happen if you see a black cat.
7. In Italy, you will have good luck if you hear a black cat sneeze.
7. Today, black cats are generally considered to bring good luck, although even in 2022, there are exceptions.
While black cats have a more positive reputation these days, not everyone is a fan. Because some people have held on to old superstitions, your black cat may need extra protection. It's not a good idea to allow cats of any color constant access to the outdoors, and that's doubly true for your black kitty. Be especially cautious around Halloween or holidays that come with fireworks. If your cat startles and runs out a door opened for just a minute, you've got reason to be concerned.
A more glamorous side of life is seen with several black felines taking center stage in the movies. Among non-animated stars with black fur are Salem, from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Binx from Hocus Pocus, and Isis from Star Trek.
If you decide a black cat companion should be in your future, you have hundreds of possibilities for names. While some have a supernatural flavor, we chose five names that offer respect to those beautiful kitties: Ebony, Licorice, Onyx, and Inky. No matter what color fur your kitty has or what name you choose, love and regular veterinary care will help him live his best life - in color.
Cat quote to remember: "A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
"National Black Cat Appreciation Day â€“ August 17, 2022"
"10 fascinating facts about black cats"